- President-Elect, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (2013)
- Skills Instructor, The Advocates’ Society (2013)
- Partner, Lerners LLP (2005 to present)
- Associate Lawyer, Lerners LLP (1998 -2004)
- Associate Lawyer, Pensa & Associates (1997-1998)
Areas of focus
- Maia works on serious personal injury, fatality, disability and insurance cases for adults, children and their families
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in Canada (2015)
- Recognized and consistently recommended by Lexpert as a leading lawyer in the area of personal injury (2014)
- Recipient, Ontario Volunteer Service Award (2014)
- Ontario Trial Lawyers' Association Women's Caucus Award (2012)
- Ontario Brain Injury Association's Professional of the Year Award (2012)
- Ontario Volunteer Service Award (2007)
- Genest, Murray, DesBrisay, Lamek Graduate Advocacy Award, Western Law School
- Best Advocate & Best Team, Ontario Trial Lawyers' Association Mock Trial Competition
- Winner, Mock Trial Competition, Western Law School
- Winner, Top Oralist/Best Individual Mooter, Wilson Moot Court Competition
- Winner, First Place Canadian Team, ABA Client Counseling Competition
- Winner, Client Counseling Competition, Western Law School
"It is difficult to put into words and accurately express my gratitude to you and your support staff. All my uncertainties and questions were met with a calm, personable and professional assurance that all would be looked after. Your overall attention to my inquiries and complaints made the process a very tolerable one. I was always impressed with how you and your staff would field my questions and issues with prompt and informed direction. I constantly found you and your staff current and well informed with my specific file and you consistently gave me undivided attention with my endless inquiries. I have absolutely no hesitation or reserve to recommend Lerners and specifically you Maia to be legal counsel."
"Thank you so much for your effort, time and skills you contributed on my case. We are very happy with the result of the settlement. We can imagine how hard this case was. We can also imagine how much effort you have put into the case. We appreciate the smooth communications between us. I feel lucky to have chosen you as my lawyer."
"We cannot put into words the respect and admiration we have for you. Thank God you came into our lives. It has been hard for us, but you and your staff were there for us all the way. We put our trust in you and you didn't disappoint us and for that we thank you."
Noteworthy cases of record
Maia has successfully recovered millions of dollars in settlement money for injured accident victims and their family members.
- Mallat v. Personal Insurance
- K.K. v. K.W.G.
- Mazur v. Elias
- Henderson v. Parker
Maia takes an active role in instructing other lawyers on important continuing legal education issues. She regularly attends as an invited speaker at conferences and seminars hosted by the Ontario Trial Lawyers Associations, The Advocates' Society, the Ontario Bar Association, the Middlesex Law Association and various Brain Injury Associations.
- “Tort Law Survey” (Speaker, Tricks of the Trade, The Advocates’ Society, 2013)
- “Grace Under Pressure” (Speaker, Spring Conference, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, 2012)
- “Understanding Serious Injury: Adjuster Training and Education” (Speaker, Insurance Institute of Canada, 2012)
- Middlesex Law Association Mentoring Program (Invited Mentor, 2011)
- The Advocates' Society Courthouse Series (Co-chair 2010-2013)
- Brain Injury Association of London Conference (Chair 2010)
- Brain Injury Association of Sarnia-Lambton Conference (Chair, 2008-2011)
- "Surviving from Accident to Settlement" (Speaker, Amendments to the SABS Conference, 2010)
- "Writing Rehab Reports Under the New Rules" (Guest Speaker, Brainworks, 2009)
- "Testifying in Court" (Speaker, Brain Injury Association of London Conference, 2009)
- "$100,000 - The Increased Simplified Procedure" (Speaker, Fall Conference, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, 2009)
- "Multiple Deductibles - Fact or Fiction?" (Speaker, Spring Conference, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, 2009)
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association Spring Conference (Co-chair, 2009)
- "Amendments to the Rules of Civil Procedure" (Speaker, Middlesex Law Association, 2009)
- "Order in the Court!" (Advocacy Demonstration, London Court House Series, 2009)
- Women's Caucus Conference (Chair, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, 2008)
- "Six Months Before Trial - What Do I Need to Do?" (Speaker, A New Lawyers Division Primer, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, 2008)
- "The Cap on Non-Pecuniary Damages" (Speaker, Assessment of Damages - A Plaintiff and Defence Perspective, Middlesex Law AssociationOntario Bar Association, 2007).
- "Advancing the Solicitor's Negligence Claim" (Speaker, Spring Conference, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, 2007).
- "Undertakings: It's About More Than Give or Take" (Speaker, A New Lawyers Division Primer, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, 2007).
- Civil Trial Advocacy Course, University of Windsor (Guest Instructor, 2007).
- "Working With Insurance Cases" (Speaker, Association of Discharge Planning Co-Ordinators of Ontario, 2006).
- "Auto Insurance: What You Don't Know Can Hurt You" (Speaker, London Business & Professional Women's Club, 2006).
- "Aggravated Damages and Asselstine" (Speaker, Winning the Bad Faith Case V, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, 2006).
- "How Do You Like Me So Far? An Accident Benefit Update for the ABI Community" (Speaker, The Brain Injury Association of London, 2005).
- Intermediate Member's Committee Luncheon Speakers Series (Chair, The Advocates' Society, London, 2000-2001).
- Reported decisions in Ontario Reports, Canadian Cases on the Law of Insurance, The Ontario Accident Benefit Case Summaries, The Lawyer's Weekly and The Law Times.
- Board Member, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Middlesex Law Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Brain Injury Association of London and Region
- Admitted to the Bar, Law Society of Upper Canada (1998)
- Bachelor of Laws, The University of Western Ontario (1996)
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Alberta (1989)
- Film, theatre, golf, cooking, reading, travel, environmental issues