- Partner, Lerners LLP (1985 to present)
Areas of distinction
- Over 30 years experience as lead lawyer on personal injury trials in all levels of trial courts
- Special focus on catastrophic injuries including orthopaedic injuries, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, fatalities
- Achieved hundreds of millions of dollars in personal injury damage settlements, including fatalities, orthopaedic injuries, brain injury, spinal cord cases, broken bones, pain and soft tissue injuries
- Certified by Law Society of Upper Canada as Specialist in Civil Litigation (personal injury) since 1995
- Recognized by Lexpert as being consistently recommended in personal injury law since 1997
- Selected by peers to be included in "The Best Lawyers in Canada" since its inception
- Practice Group Leader, Personal Injury Group, Lerners, London
"When I was seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident, I had no idea as to what my rights were, what I was entitled to receive from my own insurance company or what claims I might have against the person who caused my injuries. My husband and I are both very thankful and happy that we hired Nigel Gilby and his support team to assist us through this most difficult time in our lives.
Nigel and his dedicated team of professionals were thorough, sensitive, supportive and respectful during our difficult journey following my serious motor vehicle accident.
Nigel and his team made referrals to various rehabilitation specialists that provided the physical and emotional support we needed.
Nigel’s distinctive sense of humour always provided us with hope for the future.
Nigel settled both our lawsuit against the other driver as well as with our own insurance company, and we received far more than we ever expected and are extremely happy with and thankful for Nigel’s assistance in our case.
We would highly recommend Nigel should you need somebody to assist you with an injury claim."
Jean and Ken Walmsley
"I want to thank you so much for everything!! It has been a rough seven years and I know I have a long road ahead of me but with the money we got I have a big peace of mind that I have money to support all of my medical needs and I can also do a few extra things for myself that I would not have otherwise been able to do!! For this and more I can't thank you enough!!"
"Nigel was extremely passionate about advocating for people with brain injuries and who have been in severe accidents."
Carolyn Sims - Watch video
"My previous lawyer didn't give me the help I needed. Nigel was straightforward and made me understand what I was entitled to. He made it work. He got me my van, my new house and all the things that I needed because of my injuries. Nigel fought for me."
Cheryl Henry - Watch video
"My house lawyer told me to call Nigel when the insurance company wouldn't pay what was fair. Nigel and his team spent days and hours preparing me for trial. We got 3x what we had originally asked and that was all due to Nigel and his team. I would recommend Nigel to anyone."
Chris Leng - Watch video
"Nigel reassured my parents that everything would be taken care of. He and his team were straightforward and honest. He fought hard for me and I don't have to worry about money for the rest of my life. Nigel did what he said he would, make me happy, and he did."
Jason Badley - Watch video
"Nigel was a nice guy - he was a down to earth person. He was a normal person not trying to impress me. Without Nigel we wouldn't be where we are today. He never saw me as an income, he wanted my life to be better."
Larissa Gerow - Watch video
"Nigel came up to see me at the hospital and spent 1½ hours with me in an evening. He explained his background and what he could do for us. Nigel is not your typical lawyer. When you get Nigel, you get a team. His assistants could always answer questions and were all well trained. Nigel was the right choice for me. Without Nigel I don't believe I would have half of what I have. No one could have done what Nigel did. It is scary to think of what things would have been like without Nigel."
Matthew Roswell - Watch video
- "Critical Issues in Cross-Border Litigation", Guest speaker, Ontario vs. New York Legal Summit, March 29, 2012
- "Brain Power: Empowering Healthcare Specialists", Guest presenter, Eighth World Congress on Brain Injury, The International Brain Injury Association, Washington, DC, March 10-14, 2010 (read presentation)
- "Brain Power: Empowering Healthcare Specialists" Guest speaker, Provincial Acquired Brain Injury Conference, October, 2009
- "How to Keep Yourself in the Frying Pan and Out of the Fire", Guest speaker, Canadian Orthopaedic Nurses Association, April 28, 2008
- "Medico-Legal Issues for Family Care Providers: A Practice Approach", Guest speaker, Cardio-Renal Summit, April 2, 2008
- "Ask a Silly Question & Get a Silly Answer: Practical Advice for Posing Questions to Juries", Guest speaker, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association Conference, October 28, 2006
- "The Role of the Medical Experts in ABI Litigation", Guest speaker, InterUrban Brain Injury Conference, Sault Ste. Marie, October 23 & 24, 2003
- "Funding Rehabilitation in Spinal Cord Injuries", Guest Speaker, Interurban Spinal Cord Injury Conference, October 2, 2003
- "The Role of the Expert in ABI Cases: The Legal Perspective", Guest speaker, 4th World Congress on Brain Injury, Turin Italy, 2002
- "Enhancing Chronic Pain Management", Whistler, British Columbia, 2002
- "An ABI Odyssey: The Beginning, The Voyage, The Destination", Committee Member & Guest speaker, Third Inter-Urban Injury Conference, 2001
(For a listing of Nigel's selected presentations/publications, click here)
- Founding board member and President of Dale Brain Injury Services of London (1983 to present)
- President and Founder, H.A.B.I.T. (Helping Acquired Brain Injury Treatment) (2001 to present)
- Chair and Founder, London Health Sciences Centre Trauma Golf Tournament (2009 to present)
- Organizer, London Brain Injury Golf Classic (2001 to present)
- Chairperson, London Health Science Centre, Trauma Patient Assistance Fund
- Organizer and Chairperson, Parkwood Hospital Charity Golf Classic (2001 to 2009)
- Past Board Member, Canadian Paraplegic Association
- Nigel & Rhonda Gilby Centre for Building Futures
- Children's Hospital, London Health Sciences Centre
- London Health Sciences Centre Trauma Program
- London Health Sciences Centre Trauma Patient Assistance Fund
- Leadership Program, United Way of London & Middlesex
- Dale Brain Injury Services H.A.B.I.T. (provides funding for treatment, goods and services for people 21 and under who suffer the effects of an Acquired Brain Injury)
- Orchestra London - Major Gifts donor
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Middlesex Bar Association
- Ontario Brain Injury Association
- American Association for Justice
Complementary areas of practice
- Class Actions
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Admitted to the Bar (1980)
- Bachelor of Laws, The University of Western Ontario (1978)
- Bachelor of Arts, The University of Western Ontario (1975)
- Spare time is spent connecting with family & friends, walking the dogs and relaxing at the cottage. As an avid sports fan, Nigel can be found cheering for hockey, football or basketball and actively participates in golf, volleyball and yoga.