- Partner, Lerners LLP (2006 to present)
- Adjunct Professor, Western University (Civil Procedure) (2013 to 2015)
- Associate lawyer, Lerners LLP (1998-2005)
- Articling student, Lerners LLP (1997)
Shauna K. Powell
- Partner -
“ A successful personal injury lawyer must be one-part trial lawyer, one-part negotiator and one-part confidant. That’s what 20 years as a personal injury lawyer has taught me. ”
Shauna’s practice in personal injury is almost exclusively restricted to injured plaintiffs. Shauna has appeared before both the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Appeal. She has conducted trials and inquests. Additionally, Shauna has successfully negotiated significant monetary awards for injured plaintiffs, without the necessity of trial, on behalf of individuals who have suffered amputations, spinal cord injuries, acquired brain injuries, serious orthopaedic injuries and chronic pain.
- Litigator to Watch “ 2011 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada
- Shauna holds both a U.S. and Canadian law degree. She is a frequent speaker in matters relating to personal injury and health law
- Featherstone et al. v. Doe et al, 2013 ONSC 3175 (CanLii), leave to appeal dismissed.
- Shauna successfully argued that physical evidence from a plaintiff’s own vehicle is capable of satisfying the corroboration requirement provided for in the OPCF-44R in motor vehicle collisions involving unidentified drivers, thereby permitting her client to advance a claim for the $2 million policy limits rather than being limited to $200,00
- Tanner v. Clark, 2003 ONCA 41640 (CanLii), application for leave to appeal to Supreme Court of Canada dismissed
- Appellate level decision which held that the implied undertaking rule does not operate to prevent the disclosure of medical reports in a motor vehicle action.
- Co-Chair, Middlesex Law Association’s Annual Personal Injury Conference (2011-2017)
- “Practical Tips for Avoiding Professional Negligence Claims”, Presenter, Important Legal Updates for Health Care Professionals Seminar, October 21, 2013
- “The ABC’s of Motor Vehicle Law and the Statutory Accident Benefits Maze”, Speaker, Law Society of Upper Canada’s Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Law Practice Essentials program, October 1, 2013 (Read presentation)
- The Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Middlesex Law Association
- Fundraising Committee Member, Brain Injury Association of London and Region
- Fundraising Committee Member, Parkwood Golf Tournament, St. Joseph’s Health Care Foundation
- Sponsor and assistant coach, Under-5 Nor’west Optimist Soccer Club (2009)
- Executive member of the Ontario Bar Association’s Health Law Section (2005-2007)
- Member, Board of Directors, Kidney Foundation of Canada – Southwestern Ontario Chapter (1998-2006)
Complementary Area of Practice
- Health Law
- Masters of Law, specializing in Health Law, York University (2011) • Admitted to Ontario Bar (1998)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Windsor (1996)
- Doctor of Jurisprudence, University of Detroit, Mercy School of Law (1996)
In her spare time, Shauna enjoys spending time with her family, travelling, biking and supporting cultural events in the community.