We’re Ready to Help
Losing a family member through a wrongful death is devastating. Whether it is from negligence or malice, the wrongful death of a loved one can leave a crippling hole in the life of your family. And, unlike most personal injuries, a wrongful death cannot be healed over time.
The most common causes of a wrongful death are:
- Car accidents, such as high-speed collisions.
- Negligence, such as a fatal injury or poisoning sustained due to an unsafe work environment.
- Unsafe products that might cause a fatal injury or poisoning.
- Deliberate mistreatment causing death.
When Do I Need a Lawyer After a Wrongful Death?
After a wrongful death you and your family incurs a number of losses and expenses. You will need to pay for the funeral and settle your loved one’s affairs. You also need to deal with the loss of income caused by your family member no longer being there to help support you. In addition, there is the long-term loss of love, companionship, and support caused by the death.
Much of this may be covered by insurance, if a sufficient life insurance policy was in place. However, after the death of your loved one you might find your insurance claim rejected on a technicality, or that the responsible party for the death refuses to take responsibility or provide compensation for the loss they have caused.
If the responsible party is a major corporation, obtaining compensation may be an uphill struggle. They might fight to avoid any legal liability for the death, even though they are directly responsible for it – leaving you and your family without justice, closure, or compensation.
The best way to know what compensation is due and to hold the responsible party accountable is to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. A qualified personal injury lawyer can determine the correct course of action, ensure that your documents are in order for an insurance claim or wrongful death lawsuit, that a settlement offer is reasonable after a lawsuit has begun, and, if it becomes necessary, represent you in court to get the justice you and your family deserves.
What Should I Do After a Wrongful Death?
For best results after suffering the wrongful death of a loved one, there are a number of steps you should take as soon as possible:
- Gather as much information as you can and document the incident that caused or contributed to the death. This includes taking pictures of the scene of the accident or incident, getting the contact information of any witnesses, and acquiring any police reports. It also includes preserving and documenting any objects involved in the incident, particularly in the case of a death from an unsafe product.
- Gather all medical documentation regarding the injury or incident leading to the wrongful death, including all medical bills and related expenses.
- Document the wages your loved one had been earning prior to their death or the medical treatment preceding it. Also, document how your loved one had interacted with your family, including the emotional support and companionship they had provided.
- Document how the life of you and your family has been impacted by the wrongful death. This includes any additional expenses, no matter how small, as well as any impact to your family life.
Why Lerners after a Wrongful Death?
If you and your family have lost a loved one to a wrongful death, Lerners Personal Injury Lawyers can help. Our qualified lawyers have the experience with wrongful death claims you need to help you and your loved ones navigate the legal landscape, figure out where you should be going for compensation, and help you get what you need and deserve. More than that, we have the compassion and understanding to help you and your family through the pain and loss, even in its most difficult moments.